Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The magical Web 2.0!

Web 2.0 is becoming more and more popular- especially in education!

The wise Barry Jahn says:

Web2.0 can be defined as "a web-based platformfor applications and services."

Web-based means that your software and files can be accessed from anywhere at anytime. They exist on servers "in the cloud," so this Web2.0 concept is now often referred to as "Cloud Computing." Nothing is dependent on a local computer.

Applications and services include word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, audio and video productions, communications, tech support and other new applications added to the list every day.

I see Web 2.0 as an educational tool that can help students relate to content in a new and modern way. You can incorporate new programs with your lessons-making your curriculum more technology based! Web 2.0 really does create a more modern classroom, and combines so many diverse applications on the web from collective presentations, blogs, podcasts, yodios, and much much more.

I think its necessary to include Web 2.0 in all our classes, regardless of content. Not to sound too corny here, but this is really the way of the future- lets take advantage of all these incredible too!

Wordle is a great example of a Web 2.0 tool. As shown in the previous post, you can make awesome collections of words and responses- which may be a creative way of collecting ideas.

I also created an account on 4shared.com It gives me 5 gigs of storage! I can create a classroom 4shared account and have all my assignments posted here for absent students to make up work. I can post videos or images too (like the picture posted here- its from my 4shared account)! Other people can post comments, and you can even make your own photo album.

And of course, I love all the Google applications offered to me via gmail. I love Google Docs and learned quite a bit about these applications at the OTEN conference. I think students would love the Google applications as they don't require a home computer. This is similar to 4shared but may also be a good way for students to save their notes/other data online.

are external experiences which also incorporate the use of technology within PE!
Going to do some more exploring- catch you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment